THE AWFUL TRUTH ABOUT THE HAGFISH CHRONICLES

This is not an informative blog regarding the hagfish. It is, instead, an autobiographical work by me, Ann Murray. I am not a fish. Sorry. This in one form or other, is the story of my mishaps, and also, some of my haps. Fair and Balanced and all that.

YOU ARE A VICTIM OF THE RULES YOU LIVE BY

YOU ARE A VICTIM OF THE RULES YOU LIVE BY
JENNY HOLZER

Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Mystery Solved

More or less…

I owe more than a passing explanation to those who cared enough to keep checking in, so here goes:

This is more blog-like than my usual posts, and it’s a thing I tend to avoid. At this time though, it seems appropriate, as I am still not really up to writing personal letters. Please bear with me here.

Most specifically to Ara, Don, Rich, and Rivi (Listed alphabetically.)

Directly after the earthquake/tsunami, I fell into a deep, almost fog-like depression. I believe it was also in a good part due to my reaction to the election results here in this country.

I have long held the belief that it is far better for me to cope with my depression without resorting to medications. This is for myself only. I do not think that all depressed people should follow that dictum. I realize that in many cases psychiatric/medical help saves sanity, and perhaps life itself.

In my case, I have viewed my depression as a time of rest and introspection, since withdrawal is the rather extreme symptom for me, and was the strongest symptom of the recently past bout.

Depression is a demon. I understand that. It is not poetic, or romantic. It is a good idea to avoid it when possible, but there are times, for me, when the overload on my mental circuits becomes so great, I have no clear way out but to remove myself from the cause(s), through the means of slipping into the mental void of depression. I don’t elect depression consciously. My subconscious does that. The causes themselves do not go away e.g. the tsunami victims are still suffering horribly although they now lack the glamour to attract the news media here in America, and the election results…oh well….

In order to flee the causes, I shut my life down. I stopped listening to newscasts, and I also stopped reading news on the web. I stopped reading any blogs because there was always the danger of too much reality hurling me deeper into my private abyss.

During this stage of my mental obliteration, I suffered from a physical condition that made it very difficult for me to sit for any length of time at the computer, or anywhere else for that matter. There was a lot of swelling and pain in my legs, and wisdom dictated that I stop all harmful activities, such as prolonged, almost obsessive computer devotion. (Computer devotion is a chronic disease.)

In defense of my body and soul, I left the world of the computer. It was only turned on briefly every couple of weeks, and the web barely accessed at all. This explains such deep silence on my part. I didn’t have a pen to write with.

In early May (the 2nd to be exact) I had an accident here in my home. I fell and hurt myself very severely. I injured my left knee so badly, I was unable to even think about walking, or sitting, or doing anything other than sleeping when I could. The pain involved was beyond description.

I injured my upper body also, and as a result of this, there were other very unpleasant physical situations that developed like dominoes falling, involving my shoulders and arms/wrists/hands that made typing unbearably painful.

I did not tell anyone of this, with the exception of Rich, who is a deeply personal friend, and who had a good working knowledge of my situation since I tend to complain to him about nearly everything. He is to be lauded for his infinite patience with my vapors. My notes to him were extremely brief because I could do no more than that.

It seemed ridiculous to burden others with this information. They could do nothing to help me. I was off the web. And please understand that depression distorts the process of thought to an astonishing degree. We believe we are irrelevant a lot of the time; that we could disappear without leaving a single ring on the surface of the water we sink into. There is a major obliteration of basic ego.

I am tired now. I want to state that I am recovering at last though, so that you will stop being injured by my silence, so that you will feel better knowing that all this was deeply personal, and that I was alone in it, as I needed to be.

I know I was very rude by being so silent, but when you’re crazy, you really don’t see anything too clearly, and depression is a form of madness for me.

I do not ask for forgiveness. That is a matter of personal choice for you. If I ever told you I loved you, I did, and I do today also.

More when I feel a little better. My arms are beginning to hurt now. I don’t want to start the problem(s) up again.

11 comments:

Rivi said...

Ann,

I read your post with great difficulty to hold back my emotions. For whatever its worth, the most important thing is that you are alive.

We take so much for granted in life, even at worst times. My only prayer is that you get in touch with yourself once again and bounce back. Nothing else matters.

I am sure along with me, all those who are close to you will wish for your return. These are battles for you to fight on your own. It is not a perfect world and it never will be. But I have learnt to look at it positively, no matter what. There is a lot of good amidst all that bad, there are good souls that touch my heart whilst others who act as scum.

My friend, I await your return and healing, I await you...

Rivi

Hagfish said...

My dear Rivi,
Thank you for your immediate response. You are so kind and good, and so patient.

I will try to continue the post which I had to end because of my arms hurting. There is more, and it's much better. I am progressing, and will tell about it next.
Always,
Ann

Small Blue Thing said...

As soon as I read about you, my friend.

My love across the ocean, as always.

Blue Thing

Hagfish said...

Hello dear Ara,
I am so happy to be able to speak again.

My love to you across the great sea.

You are only a moment away.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post, hagfish.

Rich

Hagfish said...

You are more than welcome. I'm trying to come in out of the cold. Strange to be almost home. The moon will be full tomorrow. I will ride on it.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you're still alive! I'd begun to seriously worry about you. BTW, I'm down in Ecuador again...silly War on Drugs...

June-An said...

Wishing you fast recovery..

Hagfish said...

Thank you very much for your kind wishes, it's so nice to get a surprise visit from a friendly soul. You are always welcome here!

June-An said...

I'm a spy! :D hehe a nice one though! (I hope) Well don't blame me, it's a bit like spying anyway. Getting and browsing through the net to get to read something about other people's lives. Spent like more than an hour yesterday going through your different writings. Very beautiful writing indeed. And thanks for the welcome.

Anonymous said...

My dear Annie,
After speaking with you yesterday, I just know what a very special being you are. Please know that all our thoughts and good wishes are with you for peace and good health You will never change this world so we all just have to live for the moment. Carpe Diem!
Love you,
Jean